Shaving is not just a routine for men – it is a rite of passage for when boys become men. While the disposable razor may have done the trick back in your teenage years, it takes a special blade to get the close and clean shave that every man deserves to have.
The greatest innovation in grooming came from the first razor sold by Gillette in 1958, but did you know it was Merkur that invented the technology? While there only few original models of Merkur safety razors, there are plenty of variations that have not only developed, but improved their design.
So here’s a list to help you find the right one out of the 10 best Merkur safety razors for a barbershop experience every time.
Best Merkur Safety Razors of 2016
10Merkur Razor Blade Extra Long Handle
If you prefer an extra-long handle on your Merkur safety razor blade, but want the premium feel of an expensive one, the Extra Long Handle model is the one you need. With a 3.2 oz weight directed towards the head, the stainless steel design stays shimmering even after years of use.
- Extra-long handle with bulged design for a solid grip while shaving.
- Built in Germany under the best engineering standards for a fine construction.
- The heavy weight may be discouraging to new users for regular use.
9Merkur Heavy Classic Double-Edge Safety Razor
If you are looking for the precision and comfort of the Merker safety razor but don’t want to invest too much money into it, this is the perfect one to start with. Merkur Heavy Classic is the perfect embodiment of the double-edge razor with some extra weight on the head for added smoothness without too much effort.
- Perfect choice for budget-minded users who don’t want to compromise on quality.
- The extra weight of the stainless steel razor blade offers better tactile feedback.
- Experienced Merkur users may need some extra pressure for a close and clean cut.
8Merkur-Razor Double Edge Gold Plated Safety Razor
Since the list itself has been made to point out the 10 best Merkur safety razors, it is not surprise that most famous basic safety razor is here on the list. Built with a specialized etched design on the handle and a gold-plated color scheme, every shave will seem like a royal groom. Weighing 3.2 oz, you get nothing but the best of precision and comfort that Merkur is famous for.
- Comes with the all original and basic design that Merkur is known for.
- A moderate price for a heavy-duty safety razor, which should last years with proper care.
- Beginners might need a few test runs before they can have the perfect close shave.
7Parker 99R Double Edge Safety Razor
Another classic double edge razor blade designed over the original Merkur, Parker 99R comes with a twist-to-open design for quick blade replacement. The razor blade comes with a set of extra 5 blades, which makes the reasonable price even more attractive, while the above standard 3.4 oz weight is just right for the ideal shaving experience.
- Inexpensive razor blade with extra blades that make its price even more justifiable.
- Unique twist-to-open design which makes it a pleasure to work with.
- Despite the low price, it offers a premium build quality which can last years.
- The added heft of the razor blade may need getting used to.
6Merkur Long Handled Double Edge Chrome Safety Razor
Offering the classic design of Merkur safety blades, the Merkur Long Handled model comes with a stainless steel build, covered with a glimmering chrome finish. The anti-adherent surface makes it soft on the face, while the added bonus of 10 extra premium blades makes this already affordable safety razor even better.
- Long handle of the safety razor offers better control over the strokes.
- Comes not only with an affordable price, but 10 extra replacement blades.
- Beginners might have trouble using the long handle design at first.
5Merkur 20C Long Handle Black Safety Razor
An improvement over the basic Long Handled razor blade, the Merkur 20C comes with some added tweaks that make close shaving so much better. The moderate price is ideal for beginners, while the double-edge razor’s build quality will ensure that it lasts some good solid years. A specialized grip ensures that the long handle never slips out of your hands when shaving.
- Premium long handle safety razor for smooth strokes with minimum effort.
- Built for wet shaves so you don’t have to worry about keeping it dry after using.
- Similar to its predecessors, it isn’t ideally suited for those who are just starting to use Merkur safety blades.
4Perfecto Double Edge Long Handled Safety Razor
The Perfecto Long Handled razor is yet another choice for those who are looking for something out of the Merkur brand, but the same basic design. Built with a solid forged stainless steel construction and beautifully engraved design, the razor also comes with an adjustable design so you can make it work the way that suits you.
- A heavyweight design made for experienced users who need aggressive shaving.
- Built with an adjustable design and quality materials which the standard razor blades cannot offer.
- Aggressive usage style is not recommended for beginners.
3Seki Edge Feather Stainless Safety Razor
Manufactured with supreme craftsmanship, the Seki Edge Feather AS-D2 comes with a satin stainless steel finish that looks and feels just right. Engineered to feel heavy over the head and not on the base of the razor blade, you will feel much better control of the tool. With a knurled handle for firm grip, the double edge is perfect for a smooth, close shave for consistent cut.
- Offers a non-aggressive feel which is perfect for new users.
- Special design puts more weight on the head rather than the handle for tactile feedback.
- Experienced users may find this expensive razor a tad mild for their liking.
2Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl Lined Chrome Razor Blade
If you’re a long-time Merkur user who wants to mix things up a bit, this product from Edwin Jagger is a must try. Keeping the essence of the traditional double edge razor blade, alive, the DE89LBbl offers great balance for a close shave, with lined grip for better handling. While suitable for experienced users, the highly polished chrome plating is ideal for use on all kind of skins.
- Made with premium grade steel and chrome plating that enhances it overall life.
- Unique lined grip design adds stability for close and accurate shaves every time.
- Not recommended for beginners to the whole traditional safety razors shaving.
1Merkur Futur Adjustable Safety Razor Blade
Built with the highest standards of German engineering, the Merkur Futur razor blade comes with the highest amount of precision for a clean shave every time. This low-maintenance adjustable razor blade is ideal for mild or aggressive performance, and is built to last even under hard-water environments.
- One of the few Merkur blades with adjustable head design for added comfort and precision.
- A weight of 4.3 oz and brightly polished design makes it easy on the face for close shaves.
- Not recommended for use by beginners.