The weapon of choice for hunting over thousands of years has been the all reliable bow and arrow, which has seen a fair amount of improvements over the years. While guns and ammo may be the weapon of choice for the regulars, there is a reason why lists for 10 best crossbows still exist.
If you are looking to master the art of hunting, but cannot afford to invest time in learning archery, crossbow is the next best thing. Not only does the crossbow offer a small learning curve, but the modern crossbows are made to hit the target with more precision.
Whether you’re a hunter or just preparing for the zombie apocalypse, here are the 10 best crossbows you can buy.
10 Best Crossbows of 2016
10Barnett Wildcat C5
A popular model among beginners who want to get a hang of crossbows first, the Barnett Wildcat C5 is built for stability. A powerful draw with quad-style limbs comes with high energy wheels, which does add up to the 8.5 lbs weight. A rugged grip for extra comfort and 150 lbs draw weight makes this crossbow a power-packer.
- Powerful cable system offers a reasonably heavy draw weight of 150 lbs.
- Velocity of 320 FPS makes for a sure and clean kill.
- The 4×32 adjustable scope offers an accuracy of up to 20 ft.
- With no dampening system, the crossbow is not stealthy enough for long kills.
9Arrow Precision Inferno Fury
If you aren’t looking forward to burning a hole through your wallet, the Arrow Precision Inferno Fury crossbow is the one for you. Despite the lower price tag, this hunting weapon is more than capable of taking down small game. With an impressive draw weight of 175 lbs and maximum velocity of 235 FPS, your every shot will be a kill shot.
- Fairly lightweight crossbow at just 4.8 lbs.
- Comes with an easy-to-use construction for beginners and learners.
- The quality of arrows that come with the crossbow could be better.
Another product from Barnett makes it to this 10 best crossbows list with the ability to be a practice as well as a hunting weapon. The Penetrator, just as the name suggests, offers a kinetic velocity of 350 FPS and 109 ft./lbs of energy on the arrows, giving you enough force to pierce through your target.
- The crossbow comes with a built-in crank mechanism for ease of use.
- Comes with a rope cocking device.
- High velocity and impact force is good for medium-sized game.
- The crossbow packs some extra weight at 8.6 lbs.
7Killer Instinct Furious 370 FRT
A reliable name in hunting equipment, Killer Instinct brings the Furious 370 FRT crossbow with a premium construction and modern design. Made for novice and experienced hunters, the crossbow comes with a velocity rate of 381 FPS and drives the arrow with a force of 129ft./lbs.
- TriggerTech technology for quick and accurate release.
- Light-weight design makes it a perfectly portable crossbow for hunting.
- Strings needed to be replaced fairly sooner than usual.
6Barnett Jackal Package
Being a brand that has been dedicated to creating a wide range of the best crossbows, it’s no surprise that Barnett makes it to this list multiple times. A budget crossbow designed for beginners, the Barnett Jackal comes with a quiver, bolts, and a red dot sight right out of the box.
- Despite the low price-point, this crossbow comes with a max velocity of 315 FPS.
- A draw weight of 150 lbs is more than enough to take down medium-sized game.
- No cocking mechanism or dampening system offered with the crossbow.
5Darton Toxin 150 SS
Built with a unique bullpup design, the Darton Toxin 150 SS comes from a series of lightweight crossbows made for stability and precision. With a construction of solid aluminium and high density wheels, the Toxin 150 SS can pack a power punch at a kinetic velocity of 389 FPS.
- Premium build quality with a weight of 7.6 lbs for stability.
- Arrows hit with a kinetic energy of 143 ft./ lbs, offering deep piercing.
- The crossbow comes with no advanced safety features.
4Barnett Buck Commander Extreme
Regarded as one of the lightest compound crossbows out there, the Barnett Buck Commander Extreme is made for serious hunting. Forged completely from carbon and aluminium, this crossbow weighs only 7.1 lbs and has a compact size. Shooting arrows at 365 FPS and kinetic energy of 118 ft./lbs is powerful enough to dig deep inside your target.
- Lightweight crossbow offers portability with compromise in power.
- Anti-dry fire feature prevents shooting when an arrow isn’t locked in.
- Excellent build quality and ergonomic design for its price.
- Does not comes with a sling out of the box.
- Lack of noise dampener makes it less than ideal for stealth kill.
3Excalibur Matrix Grizzly SMF
A popular brand in sporting goods, Excalibur brings the best light-weight crossbow for users in the form of the Matrix Grizzly SMF. The recurve crossbow design is ideal for medium to small game hunting, offering a balanced and simplified design. The 30-inch narrow limbs of this crossbow offer a powerful draw weight of 200 lbs to pack a powerful punch.
- Maximum velocity of 304 FPS offers high impact to take down game in one shot.
- The package comes with a light weight of 5.5 lbs, along with a scope for enhanced accuracy.
- Non-aluminium rails of the crossbow could be a problem over the time.
2TenPoint Venom Crossbow
A household name for any experienced hunter, TenPoint offer its Venom Crossbow with the advantage of a lightweight build along with quick release speed. Quite easy to assemble or carry around as a whole, the crossbow packs a range of 40 ft. and rushes down with a velocity of 372 FPS.
- The crossbow comes with a ACU50 draw which makes it perform seamlessly.
- High velocity along with 200 lbs draw weight ensures a powerful impact every time.
- Perfect balance and compact design make it useful for stealthy kills.
- Expensive choice, which is justified by its abundance of features.
- The safety switch makes a fairly audible clicking sound.
1Excalibur Matrix Mega 405
Topping the list of the 10 best crossbows, is the powerful and highly efficient Matrix Mega 405 from Excalibur. With enough power to take down even the larger beasts, this crossbow brings a whole lot more to the table just good looks. With a velocity of 405 FPS and a bone-crushing 290 lbs draw weight, every design aspect of this crossbow is made for a sure-shot kill.
- Regarded as the fastest recurve crossbow available in the market today.
- Quick, efficient and silent, making it a perfect stealth-kill weapon.
- Excellent scope adds to the overall accuracy of the crossbow.
- Massive draw weight makes it difficult to pull for reload.