For every grease monkey or handyman, a bench wise is among the tools they will never stop using their entire life. For the unaware, a bench wise (also pronounced “vise”) is the tool you use to hold down a certain item or object firmly, while you work on it with other tools.
Since a bench wise is usually made of tough materials such as cast iron, there is very little chance that it’ll ever break. However, there are so many different kind of brands that offer best wises with additional features that make them suitable for different projects.
To help you make a well-informed decision, here is guide to the 10 best bench wise for more efficiency in the workshop.
Best Bench Wise of 2016
10Olympia Tools 38-736 Hobby Wise
Designed specifically for woodworkers, this bench wise comes with a simplified design and functionality to provide nothing but the basic features. Featuring countersunk holes for easily securing the base to your work bench, the Olympia Tools 38-736 comes with a built-in metal dog to clamp large pieces of wood easily.
- Iron forged and machined spindle and handle will last for years to come.
- Pre-drilled holes for wood facing makes it a woodworker’s ideal tool.
- Making fine adjustments to the bench wise can be a hassle sometimes.
9SE 8436MVC Movable Bench Wise
If you are looking for a bench wise that can easily be removed and attached to any surface without drilling holes first, the SE 8436MVC is the one for you. Constructed out of lightweight, yet toughened aluminium, this bench wise is built with a mechanism from quickly attaching and detaching from any table or bench surface.
- Comes with a rock solid clamp which can hold onto surfaces up to 2 inches thick.
- The head comes with tilting mechanism up to the angle of 45 degrees.
- The jaws aren’t strong enough for pinning down large objects.
8HFS 15948 Bench Wise
Despite being fairly lightweight, the HFS 15948 bench wise comes with a durable construction that can last for years with proper care. While being small enough for easy transport, the serrated steel jaws of the bench wise offer a firm and powerful grip for holding down medium-duty materials.
- Comes with a neat mechanism which makes it easy to lock down to surfaces.
- Compact design makes it ideal for carrying around to outdoor projects.
- The lock downs appear to be a bit flimsy, so make sure you secure them twice.
7Wilton 63302 Heavy Bench Wise
A reliable name in the world of woodworking and hardware tools, this bench press from Wilton I made from highly hardened materials with 25,000 lbs casting. The 4-lug base design of the Wilton 63302 and double lock-down mechanism makes it highly stable even under extreme pressure on a daily basis.
- Large anvil work surface for heavy duty items and materials to hold down.
- Easy gliding U channel along with rock-solid base makes it a pleasure to use.
- Customers have reported issues with the after-sales support on the product.
6Tekton 54004 Bench Wise
If you are looking for a bench wise that you can mount and never have to worry about again, the Tekton 54004 is worth checking out. Made for rugged use, this bench press can take more than just a couple hits and offers a massive 30,000 PSI tensile strength. The tool also comes with built-in slip-free jaw pads for gripping work pieces, while the powder-coated finish keeps rust away.
- Polished steel anvil powerful enough to bend metal without a hiccup.
- Available in multiple sizes so you can get the right one accordingly.
- Several sharp edges that may need extra brushing to avoid accidents.
5Rockwell RK9006 Bench Wise
Another recognizable name in the power tools business, the Rockwell RK9006 is among the largest bench wises available in the market. With an all-steel construction and a 16-inch range for clamping objects, the RK9006 comes with an unconventional design that can hold down any kind of material.
- Has a capacity to support objects weighing up to 220 lbs.
- Generates a powerful clamping force of 1 ton to hold down objects firmly.
- Installing the unique design of the bench wise is a bit complicated.
4Irwin Tools Mechanics Vise
This bench wise is built like a tank, with a 3-inch throat depth and a large jaw width that can hold down large and bulky items without any problem. The anvil is incorporated within the jaw itself, and helps keep the wise steady while tightening. The fused steel handle makes adjustments easy, while the base can be swivelled to 120 degrees.
- Ideal option for a handyman or home mechanic looking for a quality item.
- Comes with an affordable price, along with all the basic desirable features.
- You may need coating after a couple of years to keep the rust away.
3Yost FSV-6 Bench Wise
Built with a heavy duty forged steel body, this bench wise from Yost comes with a massive 6-inch jaw width and an exceptionally powerful clamping force to hold down even the bulky objects. With a swivel base that can be easily locked into place firmly, you can put the FSV-6 bench wise to the test with even industrial applications.
- Powder-coated finish that provides rust and weather resistance.
- Grooved jaws, along with locking system help improve accuracy when working.
- No precision marking for pin-point accuracy needed in woodworking.
2Grizzly G7062 Bench Wise
Weighing in at 42 lbs, this beast of a bench wise is made for heavy duty craftsmanship with multi-purpose features for woodworking and mechanics too. The jaw itself is capable of rotating completely 360 degrees, which makes it working so much easier, while the built-in pip jaws are ideal for accommodating both flat and round surfaces easily.
- Swivelling 360 degrees’ base makes the clamped object easy to move around.
- Highly durable construction with industrial grade material.
- May seem a bit out of reach for beginners and hobbyists.
1CH Harrison Palmgren Bench Wise
If you are looking to invest in a premium bench wise that you will be using for years to come, the CH Harrison Palmgren is worth every penny you put in. Built with industrial grade forged-steel, this tool offers a combined function of a bench and pipe-styled operation for added versatility. With a straight-line pull system, you can rest assured that there is no added wear and tear of the spindle and nut.
- Made from fine-grain cast iron for a rust free and prolonged usage life.
- Replaceable jaw plates ensure that you can keep using the bench wise for years.
- A weight of 59.3 lbs makes takes away any portability that the tool can offer.